Stourport Forward is a not for profit company, formed to oversee the Canal Basins Regeneration Project and since 2019 has been guided by a Heritage Lottery funded research project, looking at how it could support the town in changing times.
Stourport Forward Volunteer Opportunities include:
Heritage events volunteer – this would suit people who would enjoy helping to set up events, stewarding, leading or assisting guided walks leaders, opening our heritage rooms at weekends and during holiday periods. Our volunteers are currently meeting on Tuesdays. This role is mainly during the summer, but there is a great opportunity to expand what we already offer.
Bramble volunteers – this would suit people who would like to learn about heritage working boats of the West Midlands. Its an opportunity to help maintain the boat or open her up for visitors. You might want to learn how to work locks and steer a boat when we take her out for regular trips in the summer. For this role we would expect people to volunteer during winter, when the boat is being maintained, as well as displaying the boat on her moorings and taking the boat out in the summer.
Explorers Volunteers – we are partnered with the Canal & River Trust to lead educational visits for 7 – 11 year olds to Stourport Basins and to teach water safety. This would suit people who have worked with children before, or are looking for experience in schools, and are looking for an opportunity to work with children in a less formal setting. Our sites have a Learning Outside the Classroom Award and we offer a super waterside visit! For this role, we expect people to volunteer at least four times a month. Training would be given. A DBS is required for this role.
If you’re interested in volunteering, simply fill in this form and we’ll get back to you for a chat.
Stourport Forward undertakes:
- To provide training to an appropriate level for your work.
- To provide supervision to an appropriate level for your work.
- To have due regard for your safety while actively engaged in volunteer work.
- To work with you to identify and manage any risks in the work that you do for Stourport Forward.
You (the volunteer) undertake;
- To have due regard for your own safety and the safety of other people working with or around you.
- To follow any reasonable instructions given to you by Stourport Forward staff or volunteers who have been placed in charge of any particular activity.
- To wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) if required
- To undertake training where this would be appropriate in the context of your volunteer activities for Stourport Forward.
- To agree to represent Stourport Forward and any sponsors in a responsible manner.