We’re the charity who look after and bring to life 2,000 miles of waterways, because we believe that life is better by water.
Stourport-on-Severn is just one of the areas we operate in.
Our research shows that spending time by water, whether it be your lunchbreak, daily commute or just a weekend stroll, really can make us feel happier and healthier.
With ever increasing rates of obesity, stress and declining mental health in the UK, we are uniquely placed to make a significant contribution to improving the wellbeing of millions of people. Our canals and rivers run through some of the most heavily populated communities in England and Wales, providing accessible green and blue space where it’s needed the most.
That’s why, here at the Trust, we’re working with volunteers and communities across England and Wales to transform canals and rivers into spaces where local people want to spend time and feel better. We know this will bring wellbeing opportunities to millions.
Our work involves not only looking after our waterways, but promoting them widely to the eight million plus people who have waterways on their doorstep so that many more people benefit from our free, accessible and local source of wellbeing.
What we do
- We create new routes to work, places to enjoy and spaces where you want to be
- We build stronger communities by giving people the chance to protect and improve the places that matter to them
- We help thousands of people young and old develop their confidence and learn new skills
- We champion the many benefits that our waterways offer and encourage more people to use and enjoy them
- We care for a 2000-mile long ‘green-blue ribbon’ that connects hundreds of wildlife habitats, helping you to get closer to nature wherever you live
- We protect our precious heritage so your children, and their children too, can connect with our rich history
- We make sure that 2,980 bridges, 1,580 locks and 335 aqueducts are open and ready for use all day, every day