Citizens Advice Bureau

The Citizens Advice Bureau is a free service offered to everyone. Their trained volunteers can give information on a wide range of issues, although main areas of work are debt, benefits and employment.

Often you will need help in more than one area. If you have lost your job, for example, we may be discussing whether you have been unfairly dismissed. You may have to claim benefits and may also need help to negotiate with your creditors since you have no money to pay your bills.

Frequently the CAB is the first place people turn to as they don’t know where to start. This can be especially true if there has been a major upheaval in someone’s life like a relationship breakdown. The problem seems huge and we try to look at all aspects of it separately so it doesn’t seem so daunting.

Some cases are more complex than others and you may need additional help. We can assist with taking cases to employment tribunals for things like unpaid wages, unfair dismissal and discrimination. We can also help you to prepare for an appeal if you have been turned down for a social security benefit.

The help that you need depends on many factors. Sometimes a few words will help you to write your own letter but there may be a need for us to write on your behalf. We can also help with filling in forms and making telephone calls. It is up to you to ask for the help that you need.

We may need to refer you for expert assistance but no action is ever taken without first discussing it with you.

Everyone who comes to the bureau is given as much help as they need – this could be 10 minutes or 2 hours. Because we don’t know how long an interview will take we are unable to make appointments for first visits. Unfortunately this can sometimes mean a long wait.

Find out more about theCitizens Advice Bureau by visiting their website

Wyre Forest Citizens Advice Bureau 
CAB House
21-23 New Road
Kidderminster DY10 1AF

Telephone Information can be accessed Monday to Friday 10-4 on 03 444 111 444 (Calls cost 5p per minute from a BT landline) – If using a mobile call 0300 3300650